The Protestant convent St. Marienberg

Founded in 1176 by the abbot of Werden and Helmstedt as an Augustinian convent for women, today the convent belongs to the Stiftung Braunschweigischer Kulturbesitz (SBK) (Brunswick Cultural Heritage Foundation).

The convent lost its glory during the reformation. It was put under a secular administration. Only with the abbess Charlotte von Veltheim, who moved into the convent in 1862, a revival took place. She founded the convent which became extinct in 1984. She served as abbess for 60 years and founded a number of schools and started today’s HELIOS St. Marienberg Hospital and the parament workshop. The Protestant convent was re-founded in 1989 which means that the convent is publicly accessible and which, among other things, sees the support of paramentics as one of its tasks.


The Romanesque house of God is a trabeated pillar basilica. Medieval wall paintings can still be found within the tower chapels. Since the summer of 2004, an important medieval crucifix from the Kreis- und Universitätsmuseum Helmstedt has been set up in the side aisle. Modern and Romanesque art enter into a wonderful symbiosis with the art of the 19th century. During the 20th century, both the church and the convent have been fundamentally and elaborately restored by the owner.

Treasure chamber

In the treasure chamber, precious medieval textiles – the oldest of which date back to the second half of the 13th century – are shown. The collection is defined by its diversity in presentation, material and technique.

Paraments’ hall

The historical paraments’ hall was built in the 19th century and even today is still the place where textiles are designed artfully and with the highest skill.